We live in a world where technology dominates. It is well known that our generation is centered on our smart phones and many hours are spent focused on its small screen.
Words like “creative pursuit”, “hobbies” and “personal fulfillment” are out of date. I cannot remember the last time I witnessed somebody knitting, crocheting, doing mosaics, painting or scrap booking. When I grew up these were common activities whereas today young people are glued to their phones.
It is not simply because I am nostalgic that I mention these activities. It is because I know that activities like these enhance mental well-being.
No matter how much fun it is to interact on Facebook, there is no substitute for activities which produce a tangible object. When you complete a task, and see a concrete outcome, dopamine is released which helps you to feel happy.
If you have ever done any of these you will know what I mean.
- Cooked a tasty meal
- Sewn a dress
- Embroidered a table cloth
- Harvested herbs
- Grown pretty flowers
- Built a wooden cabinet
- Painted a room
- Landscaped out a garden
- Renovated a house.
There are other benefits too:
- When you are being creative, your mind is in “the zone”. This results in feeling calm and happy.
- When you are focused on making/building/creating something, you become engrossed in the activity which means that you will not think anxious thoughts.
- When you finish a concrete object, you experience a sense of mastery which boosts self-esteem.
- When you are engaged in stimulating activities besides work, it keeps your brain mentally agile.
- When you are creative in an ongoing manner, it will decrease your levels of anxiety.
- When you find a pursuit like painting to express your feelings and world view, you will have an avenue for self-expression and will feel actualised.
- Hobbies ensure that you are never bored which is an antidote for possible depression.
- Hobbies will make you an interesting person as you will have more to talk about than just your work. This will benefit your personal relationships.
- Creative pursuits provide opportunities to meet new people and make more friends.
My recommendation is that you make time for a hobby, collecting or creative pursuit. You will find the benefits immeasurable.